Please select from our range of Fun Ho toys.
Ho can trace its beginning back to the 1930s when Mr Jack Underwood
started making toys from lead in his garage in Wellington, NZ. Around
1940 he opened a small foundry to produce components for use during WWII
and in 1941 cast aluminium toys were produced as a sideline. About this
time the "Fun Ho" trademark came into use. In 1945 the Underwood
factory was moved to New Plymouth, where the company operated for a time
from the Arcadia Hotel building. In 1947 the company moved to Inglewood
where it remained until the factory closed. In the mid 1960's, another
range of toys were produced, this time of a zinc alloy. Initially called
Mobil Midgets, they were later simply called "Midgets". During the
1970s, over a million Fun Ho! toys were sold annually each year, but in
the late 1970's, import restrictions were lifted and people started
buying the cheaper imported toys which flooded the local market, instead
of buying the Fun Ho! aluminium or diecast toys. By 1982, toy
production ceased and in 1987 the factory finally closed after over 50
years of manufacturing.
Since then only small quantities have been made as reproductions for the collector market.